As physicians are given progressively less time for visits with often complex patients, many are left wondering how they can still help patients and their families understand diagnoses and better navigate the healthcare system. Enter the patient advocate! Today we are talking with Dr. Nicole Rochester whose personal experience with the healthcare system when caring for her father led her to pursue this unexpected career path. Dr. Rochester shares with us how she knew this was her purpose, the challenges and triumphs of building her business, and how you can become a patient advocate.
In this episode we’re talking about:
- What it means to be a patient advocate and the day-to-day work
- Why Dr. Rochester left her thriving pediatric career to pursue this role
- Nicole’s consulting work in health equity
- The importance of listening to your calling
- How to build a career as a patient advocate/navigator and avoid common pitfalls
- What to charge for health advocacy work and how to scale your business
- Dr. Rochester’s course for physicians interested in health advocacy
Links for this episode:
Facebook: The GPS Doc
Twitter: Nicole Rochester
LinkedIn for Physicians Course – Would you rather clean out your garage or attic than “put yourself out there” and network? No worries! My LinkedIn course is geared to make networking doable and fun. I show you how to connect with people who can be helpful for your career, what to put in your messages, and how to apply strategically for the job you really want. You can learn more about this course right HERE.
Thank you for listening!
If you love the podcast, we’d LOVE a review:
- Your positive review really helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility. Click here for a video tutorial on how to leave a review. THANK YOU!!
If you’d like to share your thoughts on this episode:
Other ways to enjoy the show: