Have you ever wondered what it would be like to do another residency or fellowship? Many physicians consider this option, but worry they may be too old or far along in their career path to change course. Pediatrician Dr. Betsy Baker knew she needed to make some significant changes and decided to take on a child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship later in her career. Her initial goal for the training was to enhance her skill set as a forensic pediatrician working in the area of high conflict co-parenting. Today she shares the ups and downs of her three-year fellowship and the unexpected outcome of this training. In addition, Betsy offers specific advice for those of you considering further training later in your career.
In this episode we’re talking about:
- Dr. Baker’s unique career in child abuse pediatrics
- How an imperfect work-life balance offered inspiration for change
- Why Betsy was experiencing burnout in her long-time role
- How she knew further training was the right option for her
- Betsy’s highs and lows during her fellowship training
- Dr. Baker’s experience finding a new role to fit her purpose
- Betsy’s advice for later-career physicians considering further training
Links for this episode:
A Mid Career Fellowship Sparks a New Direction – Podcast #29
A Family Medicine physician turns her burnout around by doing a fellowship in hospice and palliative care.
An Intern Leaves and Then Has a Change of Heart – Podcast #11
This episode features an Internal Medicine resident who left after her intern year thinking clinical practice was not for her. She worked in medical communications for 2 years and then decided to return and do an anesthesiology residency followed by a CT fellowship!
LinkedIn For Physicians Course – If you’re considering a career transition or want to enhance your professional platform, LinkedIn is a great resource. My self-paced video course shows you how to create a compelling profile, network successfully, and be strategic in searching for and applying to jobs.
Thank you for listening!
If you love the podcast, we’d LOVE a review:
- Your positive review really helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility. Click here for a video tutorial on how to leave a review. THANK YOU!!
If you’d like to share your thoughts on this episode:
Other ways to enjoy the show: