The Nectar Mattress is a 12-inch foam mattress that contains three individual layers:
- 3″ gel-infused memory foam
- 2″ transitional polyfoam
- 7″ high-density polyfoam
The memory foam contours closely for a cradling effect many people liken to sleeping in – rather than sleeping on – the mattress. However, the support layers provide enough reinforcement to stabilize the mattress and prevent excessive sinkage for people who weigh up to 230 pounds. This creates a medium firm (6) for the mattress.
Cooling gel infused into the memory foam is intended to dissipate body heat from the surface. The top cover is made from a blend of polyester, nylon, and polyethylene, which has a soft and stretchy feel. The bottom of the mattress also features a bottom cover with shift-resistant fabric meant to prevent the mattress from slipping when you move.
After personally evaluating the mattress, our team has awarded performance ratings for the Nectar Mattress based on our standard testing criteria. Each rating uses a 5-point scale, with 1 being poor and 5 being excellent.
One advantage of the Nectar Mattress is its firmer-than-average feel, which can be attributed to its dense polyfoam transitional and support layers. This makes the surface more resistant to impressions and indentations than softer foam mattresses. That said, even dense or firm foam breaks down somewhat quickly over time compared to other materials like latex. We expect the Nectar Mattress to perform for about six years before a replacement will be needed.
Pressure Relief: 4/5
We evaluate pressure relief using body sensors that track pressure buildup in sensitive areas such as the shoulders, lower back, and hips. Our testers take turns lying on each mattress and we monitor areas of pressure concentration based on readings from these sensors.
All-foam mattresses typically excel at pressure relief and the Nectar is no exception. The memory foam comfort layer contours closely to distribute your weight, cushion the shoulders and hips, and improve spinal alignment – all of which can reduce pressure for side sleepers. The mattress is also firm enough to support back sleepers up to 230 pounds and prevent pressure in the lower back that occurs when the body sinks too deeply beneath a sleep surface.
Motion Isolation: 4/5
To evaluate a mattress for motion isolation, two of our testers lie side by side. They take turns changing positions and getting on and off the mattress. Each tester then reports how much – if any – movement they feel on their respective side when the other person moves.
Motion isolation is a strong point for the Nectar Mattress. All three foam layers work together to absorb movement and prevent transfer from spreading to other areas of the mattress. This makes the Nectar a good option for anyone who shares their bed with a partner and frequently experiences sleep disruptions due to the other person’s nighttime movements.
Temperature Control: 3/5
Our temperature control tests utilize thermal technology that measures areas of heat concentration across the sleep surface in relation to the tester’s body. We also rely on anecdotal feedback from each tester regarding how warm or cool the mattress feels to them.
While all-foam mattresses tend to absorb more heat than other mattress types, none of our testers felt excessively warm on the Nectar. The cooling gel infused into the memory foam is somewhat effective at dissipating body heat, and the cover is fairly breathable. People who run exceptionally hot at night might find this mattress uncomfortable, but otherwise we don’t foresee any major temperature-related issues for sleepers.
Edge Support: 3/5
Evaluating edge support involves testers sitting along the perimeter of a mattress and measuring compression in that area compared to the rest of the sleep surface. We also take turns lying near the edges to see how stable the mattress feels compared to when we lie in the middle.
Edge support is another area where the Nectar outperforms many competing all-foam models. Once again, this is largely due to the medium firm feel of this mattress. The perimeter sinks a bit, as is to be expected from a mattress with a thick memory foam comfort layer, but the edges feel reasonably stable. Getting on and off the mattress shouldn’t present too much difficulty for people who weigh 230 pounds or less.
Ease of Movement: 2/5
Ease of movement is one of our more straightforward tests. We take turns getting on and off the mattress to see how responsive the surface feels, and whether or not we feel stuck or trapped when switching sleep positions.
The Nectar Mattress is not very responsive and the memory foam layer is fairly thick, so most of us encountered some difficulty moving across the surface. This was especially true for testers who weigh more than 230 pounds.
Off-gassing refers to chemical smells that occur when mattresses emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs) after being removed from their shipping boxes. We evaluate how much odor is present during the initial unboxing, then revisit the mattress over the next few days to see how much of the odor has dissipated.
The Nectar Mattress emits some noticeable off-gassing at first, as is common for all-foam mattresses, but the smells aren’t too overpowering. The odor should completely dissipate within two to three days after unboxing. Owners can expedite the airing-out process by placing their mattress in a well-ventilated room until the smells are no longer present.
Responsive mattresses with strong support systems tend to be most conducive for sex. We base our ratings for sex on the firmness level of a mattress, and how that mattress performs for edge support, ease of movement, and temperature control.
The Nectar’s all-foam design ensures decent traction during sex, but changing positions or relocating to different areas of the mattress may lead to deep sinkage that can feel like “fighting” against the mattress. Middle-of-the-road edge support also means some couples may not be able to use the entire surface for sex and feel confined to the middle.
Sleep Position and Body Weight
To ensure our mattress tests are inclusive of all sleepers, our team consists of individuals with different body types and primary sleep positions. The Nectar Mattress earned the following ratings from our testing crew.
- Side Sleepers: The Nectar performed well for side sleepers across all weight groups, but the ratings were most favorable for those who weigh 130 to 230 pounds. The medium firm feel and close contouring create a balance of cushioning and support that many people in this weight range prefer.
- Back Sleepers: Back sleepers weighing up to 230 pounds awarded positive ratings to the Nectar Mattress. They were able to lie comfortably without sinking too much around the midsection and hips. Back sleepers on our team weighing more than 230 pounds reported some sinkage, so their ratings were less enthusiastic.
- Stomach Sleepers: Our stomach-sleeping testers encountered the same issues as the back sleepers. Those who weigh 230 pounds or less found the mattress comfortable and sufficiently supportive, whereas testers weighing more sank a bit too much around the torso and hips.
Buying Information and Customer Policies
Lastly, we’ll dive into the fine print of your Nectar Mattress purchase. Key details for prospective Nectar shoppers include the following:
- Availability: The Nectar Mattress is exclusively sold online. You can purchase the mattress on Nectar Sleep’s website or through online retailers and marketplaces such as Amazon.com.
- Shipping Options: All Nectar Mattress orders within the contiguous U.S. include free ground shipping. The mattress is compressed in a box and delivered directly to your doorstep. Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii costs $150. Nectar Sleep does not ship to other locations. The company offers White Glove delivery for a flat fee of $149 plus $49 for each mattress being assembled or removed.
- Sleep Trial: Nectar Sleep’s trial period lasts 365 nights and includes a mandatory break-in period of 30 nights. Customers must unbox the mattress within 90 nights or else their trial will be voided. The company issues full refunds for all returns within the contiguous U.S. Partial refunds are available for customers in Alaska and Hawaii, minus shipping charges.
- Warranty: All Nectar Mattresses come with lifetime warranties against structural defects. This warranty covers structural defects such as surface impressions that measure 1.5 inches or deeper. If a defect is found, the company will repair or replace the mattress at no cost to the owner. You must retain original ownership of the mattress to qualify for warranty coverage.