Healthcare design projects are unique by nature, each responding to the specific needs of an organization and community to support the program housed within its walls.
And that’s exactly how the judging of the Healthcare Design Showcase submissions is approached—projects aren’t weighed or pitted against one another, but rather assessed on their own merit and how well the end design provides an environment that achieves initial goals. The goal is for the process to result in a rich diversity of winners, and this year is certainly no exception.
On the following pages, you’ll find an orthopedic hospital situated in a forest setting in Germany that embraces biophilic design, inside and out. It’s included alongside a community health center in Brooklyn, N.Y., that brings ambulatory care to an urban center and leverages artwork to blend into its surrounds. Together, they represent our Award of Merit winners, the highest honor bestowed by our Design Showcase jury.
Meanwhile, our Honorable Mention awardees include a musculoskeletal institute that’s totally powered by renewable energy; a rehabilitation and genetics research institute and clinic that houses more than 100 services for individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities; and a greenfield hospital that boasts a clean post-modern aesthetic and generous outdoor connections.
And the thread that binds them is their excellence in solving the unique challenges each was presented.
All submissions to the Design Showcase were reviewed by our jury of industry professionals appointed by partner organizations The Center for Health Design, IIDA, and American Society of Interior Designers.
They were judged based on achievements in the categories of Innovation, Aesthetics, Experience, and Operational Performance. The projects that received the highest scores in a first round of review advanced to an in-person judging event held this spring in Chicago, during which our jury determined the Honorable Mention and Award of Merit winners.
Below, you’ll find a list of our jury members, the 2022 winners and finalists, and links to the individual articles on each.
For more on the 2022 Design Showcase, check out Healthcare Design’s August issue.
2022 Showcase Jury
- Joan Albert, Principal/director of healthcare design, Page
- Erik Andersen, Senior principal and healthcare market sector leader, Lamar Johnson Collaborative Deborah Antes, Director of space planning and architectural services, The University of Chicago Medicine
- Sheila Cahnman, President, JumpGarden Consulting LLC
- Richard Click, Project manager, planning and construction, Northwestern Memorial HealthCare
- Angela Crum, Associate principal, CallisonRTKL
- Heather Dilley, Director, preconstruction and project engineering, Medxcel
- Anne DiNardo, Executive editor, Healthcare Design
- Elizabeth Dolinar, Architect/associate, DLR Group
- Amanda Gee, Interior designer, EwingCole
- Kimberly Johnston, Senior interior project designer, Perkins&Will
- Eric Kutche, Managing principal, 313 Works
- Donald Myers, Director, facilities standards service, US Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Construction and Facilities Management
- Natasza Naczas, Project manager, Project Management Advisors Inc.
- Avein Saaty-Tafoya, President and CEO, AST Consulting LLC
- Shari Stein, Principal interior designer, owner, and partner, DesignTeam Plus Inc.
- Paul Widlarz, Vice president/principal, HGA Architects and Engineers
2022 Awards of Merit:
2022 Honorable Mentions:
- The Pavilion at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, submitted by HDR and PENNFirst
- Sheppard Pratt Washington/Baltimore Campus, submitted by CannonDesign
- Trinity Health Muskegon—Hospital Expansion, submitted by HGA
Learn more about the Design Showcase winners during an awards luncheon at the 2022 HCD Conference + Expo, taking place Oct. 8-11, in San Antonio. The program will also honor the winners of Healthcare Design’s Remodel/Renovation Competition and Rising Stars programs. For more details and to register, visit HCDexpo.com.